Like any online quiz, this takes one's complex and nuanced personal theology and reduces it to a simplification in order that it fits into a few defined sorting categories. This particular quiz uses five broad categories for sorting people:
- Jesse Ventura Christian (a.k.a. a "Secularist" or non-Christian)
- Bishop Spong Christian (a.k.a. "Biblical Revisionist")
- Hillary Rodham Clinton Christian (a.k.a. "Left-Leaning Traditionalist")
- George Bush Sr. Christian (a.k.a. "Right-Leaning Traditionalist")
- Jerry Falwell Christian (a.k.a "Historicist")
I suppose this result comes from the reading and reflection that I've done with "Biblical Revisionist" writers like Spong, Crossan, Borg, Funk, Pagels, and others. Much of my personal reflection was presented in a sermon I presented in my congregation several years ago.
I suspect that nearly all Unitarian Universalists would find themselves sorted into the "Jesse Ventura" category or the "Bishop Spong" category. And it may be a fun way to start conversations about how present-day Unitarian Universalists view Jesus, the Bible, and God.