14 January 2008

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part X)

This post is a continuation of the Unitarian Universalist re-framing of the discussion questions at the end of Hemant Mehta's I Sold My Soul on eBay: Viewing Faith through an Atheist's Eyes. Hemant is also the author of the Friendly Atheist blog.

The discussion questions for the book's Introduction can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part I)

The discussion questions for Chapter 1 can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part II)

The discussion questions for Chapter 2 can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part III)

The discussion questions for Chapter 3 can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part IV)

The discussion questions for Chapter 4 can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part V)

The discussion questions for Chapter 5 can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part VI)

The discussion questions for Chapter 6 can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part VII)

The discussion questions for Chapter 7 can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part VIII)

The discussion questions for Chapter 8 can be found here:

UU Discussion Questions For "I Sold My Soul on eBay" (Part IX)

Chapter 9: What Works on Sunday Morning and What Doesn't
(1) Is there anything in the author's overview that gave new insight or a new perspective on how your Unitarian Universalist congregation comes across to newcomers? If so, what were the insights?

(2) Does the author include any critiques of the churches in this chapter that you feel are unfair or clearly based on a misunderstanding? How would you clarify those issues for the author? Do you think some aspects of your Unitarian Universalist congregation might lead to similar criticisms? If so, would these criticisms be unfair or based on a misunderstanding? Why or why not?

(3) The author is pointed in his criticism of boring preachers, pointing out that regular church attendees seemed to be as bored as he was. Then he praises skilled speakers: "Imagine the best and worst teachers you had in college. The best ones made you want to listen ... They ignited a passion inside you. The best teachers (and the best preachers) connect with something inside you that makes you not just listen, but moves you to act." Are you surprised that an atheist who repeatedly appeals to reason and logic is so attracted to communicators who generate passion? How can Unitarian Universalist ministers and speakers -- in personal interactions and in group settings -- communicate the way he is describing?

(4) Hemant recommends that pastors videotape their sermons, but to turn the cameras toward the congregation to record audience's response and level of engagement. Is this a good idea? Do you think this would be useful in your Unitarian Universalist congregation?

(5) In suggesting that churches sponsor debates between Christians and nonbelievers, Hemant argues that it would show outsiders "that Christians are confident in their beliefs, so much so that they're willing to present their teachings in a setting where the other side of the argument is also presented." Do you think this suggestion could be applied to Unitarian Universalist congregations as well? Why or why not?

(6) The author is sensitive to the frequently expressed attitude among Christians that nonbelievers are "them" and not "us." He writes, "I found that because I was an atheist, I was seen as the enemy." Are there ways that Unitarian Universalists also divide into "us" and "them" groups? Is this done intentionally or unintentionally? Is this done as an adversarial act or as an establishment of theological boundaries for the congregation?

(7) The author recommends that churches provide regular opportunities for people to ask questions of the pastor. "Wouldn't it be great if immediately after the sermon there was a room I could go to where I could have my questions answered?" he proposes. In his church research, he found only one church that schedules regular question-and-answer sessions (this was Ted Haggard's church). Why do you think more congregations don't provide regular opportunities like this interaction for visitors, seekers, and long-term members where they can raise questions? In Unitarian Universalist settings, this often referred to as "talkback." Many Unitarian Universalist growth consultants advise against "talkback" after the worship service. Why do think they do this? What do you feel about this recommendation?

No comments: